To deal with uterine fibroids, surgical treatment can be utilized to get rid of fibroids only (myomectomy) or to eliminate the whole womb (hysterectomy).
Surgical procedure is a reasonable treatment alternative when:
- Heavy uterine bleeding and/or anemia has continued after numerous months of therapy with birth control hormonal agents and also a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication (NSAID).
- Fibroids expand after menopause.
- The womb is misshapen by fibroids and you have actually had repeat miscarriages or problem getting expecting.
- Fibroid pain or pressure affects your quality of life.
- You have urinary or bowel issues (from a fibroid pressing on your bladder, ureter, or bowel).
- There is an opportunity that cancer exists.
- Fibroids are a possible source of your problem obtaining expectant.
Surgical procedure selections
Surgical treatment options consist of:
- Myomectomy, or fibroid removal. This might boost your opportunities of having a baby if the fibroid is inside the womb and also prevents a fertilized egg from dental implanting in the womb. Removing fibroids in rest areas of the uterus may not enhance your possibilities of conceiving.
- Hysterectomy, or uterus elimination. This is only recommended for women that have no future maternity plans. Hysterectomy is the only fibroid therapy that protects against regrowth of fibroids. It enhances quality of life for many females. But it can also have adverse lasting effects. To learn more, see the subject Hysterectomy.
- Myomectomy or hysterectomy could be done through one or more tiny cuts utilizing laparoscopy, through the vagina, or through a bigger abdominal cut (cut). The approach depends upon your condition, consisting of where, just how large, as well as what type of fibroid is expanding in the womb and whether you want to become pregnant.
Just what to think of.
If you are expecting a future pregnancy, myomectomy is your one surgical option.
Heavy, long term, and also agonizing periods caused by uterine fibroids will certainly stop normally after you reach menopause. If you are nearing menopause and also your symptoms are bearable, take into consideration regulating signs with residence therapy as well as medication up until menopause. Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE) might additionally be a sensible choice for you, although it has some threats.